MAZES is our focus for the school wide Challenge day on Friday, January 26th and our aim is to have students build them out of recycled materials so that nothing goes into the landfill. Students are asked to start collecting any recycled items from home (bottles, card board tubes, etc.) in anticipation of building a creative maze on Friday. More information will be shard through the classroom teachers. School wide Challenge days are an opportunity for students to explore the Core Competencies of the Curriculum that come into play when they are engaged in “doing” any area of learning. “Core competencies are sets of intellectual, personal, and social and emotional proficiencies that all students need to develop in order to engage in deep learning and life-long learning.” (BC’s New Curriculum – Core Competencies).
Basketball fever has hit Cambridge during the second term and the following activities are taking place this season:
- Grade 7 girls – there was a small but very interested group of senior girls wanting to beef up their skills this year so, instead of joining the regular league, Ms. Gulbransen has set up an in school intramural program on Monday’s and Wednesday’s at lunch. The focus will be on playing games in a fun environment.
- Grade 7 boys – there was overwhelming support from 21 of our senior boys and we were lucky to have senior leadership coaches from Sullivan Secondary join us this year. They practice with the boys on Wednesday mornings and scheduled games begin next week with neighbouring schools.
- Grade 6 boys – there was a very large (over 27) group interested in playing this year but we couldn’t find any other teams in the district with just grade 6 students. They will be part of a lunch intramural program (with Mr. Litt & Mr. Nelson) on Tuesday and Thursday and have the opportunity to work with senior Sullivan student coaches on Thursday mornings before school.
- Domino’s Pizza Hot lunch is Tuesday January 30. Ordering ends tomorrow Monday January 22 at 8pm. Order on cambridgepac.hotlunches.net
*Please email the PAC Exec team for confidential financial assistance of hot lunch payments if needed at Cambridge.firstname.lastname@example.org
Please let us know if you can volunteer to deliver the orders to the classrooms (11:15-12)
- A notice will be going home this week with the dates and order deadlines for February’s hot lunches. The Triple O’s lunch that was scheduled has been changed to Boston Pizza as Triple O’s was not able to deliver at the Welcome BBQ. If you prepaid for February’s Triple O’s there is a credit in your account.
- Thank you to all 21 parents who came to the PAC meeting last week! It was our largest turnout in a very long time and we appreciate your attendance.
Thank you! Jaime, Allyson, Taryn and Miriam
BACK TO “IN THIS ISSUE”
QUOTE OF THE WEEK
CALENDAR – IMPORTANT DATES FOR 2017/18 (PDF)
26-Challenge Day #2
27-Gr. 6/7 Ski/Snowboard Whistler Trip
12-Family Day – Classes not in session
16-Non-Instructional Day – Classes not in session for students
30-Good Friday – Schools Closed
2-Easter Monday – School Closed
3-School Re-Opens, Running Club & Track Begins
19-Early-Dismissal at 1:25 p.m.
4-Non-Instructional Day – Classes not in session for students
18-Challenge Day #3
21-Victoria Day – Classes not in session
28-Non-Instructional Day – Classes not in session for students
5-Parent Appreciation Tea
22-Grade7 Farewell Assembly – 9:00 a.m.
27-Year End Assembly
28-Last day of school, Early dismissal @ 1:25 p.m.
29-Administration Day – Classes not in session for students