Interim reports will be posted on FreshGrade on October 27th
Reminder that Monday afternoon will be Reading Under the Stars at Cambridge. Students are encouraged to bring their favourite book, a flashlight and a blankie (if they want) to school tomorrow.
- EARTHQUAKE PREPAREDNESS – ARE YOU PREPARED?
- WALK/ROLL TO SCHOOL WEEK – A GREAT SUCCESS
- PAC NEWS
- QUOTE OF THE WEEK
On October 19th, Cambridge Elementary students participated in the first Earthquake drill of the new school year. It was part of a larger initiative titled, The Great British Columbia Shake Out, where over 360,000 other students in the province practiced school district protocols to prepare for an earthquake. Within the Surrey School District, schools participate monthly to practice fire, lock down/out and earthquake safety drills. All students at Cambridge practiced DUCK, COVER AND HOLD wherever they were and listened carefully to instructions given by adults. It was a great opportunity to talk with students about what preparations have been made at home in the event of a major earthquake. If your family has not set up an emergency response plan, Emergency Management BC has a great resource titled, PreparedBC: BC’s central resource for emergency preparedness information that has a wealth of resources for your family.
While it turned out to be a soggy week during last week’s Walk/Roll to School Week, lots and lots of students in each division put on their rainy weather gear and headed to school on foot. Classroom tallies indicated that students made over 1300 trips to school on foot or scooter or bike last week. Awesome work, Cambridge community.
Just a reminder that all students are expected to be outside for recess and lunch each day (unless the weather is extremely fierce) so we encourage you to help your child dress for Fall as they head out the door each morning. Boots to play in the puddles with, a waterproof jacket with hood, gloves, and an umbrella make for a more enjoyable day for students as the weather become more winter like.
• PAC meeting this Thursday at 6:30pm. We will be discussing the gaming budget and voting on it. Please attend as we would love your ideas and opinions! Childcare will be offered.
• Almost all Entertainment books have been returned. As a extra bonus, we have been given 1/2 hour free jump cards for Extreme Air Park! Everyone who has sold a book or turned theirs in will receive a card by the end of this week.
• Donations for crossing guard Karl – if you would still like to donate, please send cheque or cash to the school -marked for Karl- and the PAC executive will purchase a gift card for groceries as per their request. There will also be a card at the school for everyone to sign.
A big shout out to all our volunteers and families for another successful Halloween dance! Fun was had by all and the costumes were amazing! Also, a thank you to The Holmes team of Macdonald Realty for sponsoring our photobooth again this year!
Thanks Jaime, Allyson, Taryn and Miriam
October PAC calendar:
- Monday October 23rd – Hot Dog lunch
- Thursday October 26th – PAC meeting 6:30pm (Learning Lab/Music room)
CALENDAR – IMPORTANT DATES FOR 2017/18 (PDF)
19-PAC Halloween Dance (6-8pm)
26-PAC Mtg @ 6:30pm in LL/Music Room
3-Ministry Designated Curriculum Day – Classes not in session for students
7-Early-Dismissal at 1:25 p.m.
9-Remembrance Day Assembly – 9:00 a.m.
10-Non-Instructional Day – Classes not in session for students
13-Remembrance Day – Classes not in session
22-Last day of school before Winter Break
25 to January 5-Winter Break
8-First day of school in 2017
26-Challenge Day #2
12-Family Day – Classes not in session
16-Non-Instructional Day – Classes not in session for students
30-Good Friday – Schools Closed
2-Easter Monday – School Closed
3-School Re-Opens, Running Club & Track Begins
19-Early-Dismissal at 1:25 p.m.
4-Non-Instructional Day – Classes not in session for students
18-Challenge Day #3
21-Victoria Day – Classes not in session
28-Non-Instructional Day – Classes not in session for students
5-Parent Appreciation Tea
22-Grade7 Farewell Assembly – 9:00 a.m.
27-Year End Assembly
28-Last day of school, Early dismissal @ 1:25 p.m.
29-Administration Day – Classes not in session for students