Please send cardboard to school with your child ASAP in anticipation of Cardboard Challenge Day this Friday.
- 4TH ANNUAL CARDBOARD CHALLENGE
- IMAGES FROM THE WEEK – JERSEY DAY
- PAC NEWS
- QUOTE OF THE WEEK
On Friday, October 13th, Cambridge Elementary will be hosting our first of three much anticipated challenges throughout the school year. The Cambridge Cardboard Challenge, now in its fourth year, was inspired by Caine, a young boy from East Los Angeles who captured the world’s attention by building a complete arcade using imagination and cardboard. An organization called the Imagination Foundation “was founded to find, foster and fund creativity and entrepreneurship in children around the world to raise a new generation of innovators and problem solvers who have the tools they need to build the world they imagine.” This work aligns closely with B.C.’s curriculum as it focuses on many of the competencies we strive to develop in students: communication, creative and critical thinking, problem solving, and self awareness.
Some important points…Students:
- Can participate individually, pairs, or small groups. Some classes may even choose to create one LARGE cardboard project. You decide!
- Need to bring everything they will need to build their creation (cardboard, scissors, tape, glue).
- Are encouraged to carefully think through their plan prior to October 13th.
- May do some cutting and prebuilding prior to the event. They will have from 8:30 a.m. until 12:15p.m., so decide how much time is required and how much work needs to be done ahead of time.
- Are encouraged to focus on actual construction rather than decorating.
- NO prizes such as candies or toys will be permitted to hand out.
Additional Information & Student Planning Form: Cambridge Elementary Annual Cardboard Challenge – 2017
Depending on the number of students participating, construction may take place in classrooms or the gym. The day will culminate in an open-house display of all cardboard creations in the gym from 12:30 – 2:00pm. You are invited to join us for the afternoon to celebrate student creativity and learning.
Entertainment books – as of right now, we have sold over 700 books! That is double our goal of 350! Thank you for all your help in reaching our goal! There are a few books still outstanding. Please return these to your teacher or the office as soon as possible.
NEW DATE – this month’s PAC meeting has been moved to October 26th to accommodate the gaming budget. The meeting will still take place at 6:30pm
The Annual Creatures of Cambridge Dance will take place on Thursday, October 19th from 6pm-8pm. This event is for all families of Cambridge. Parents, grandparents, siblings all are welcome to come and dress up and have a great time with all their friends. Admission is free, all we ask is that you bring a donation for the food bank. There will be a photobooth, concession, DJ and more! If you’d like to order pizza for dinner that evening, please place your order before Friday October 13th at 9pm.
Happy thanksgiving! Jaime, Allyson, Taryn and Miriam
October PAC calendar:
- Tuesday October 10th – Booster Juice lunch
- Thursday October 19th – HALLOWEEN DANCE!! 6-8pm (Order your Dominoes Pizza dinner to enjoy at the dance by Friday October 13th)
- Monday October 23rd – Hot Dog lunch (Please order by Friday October 20th)
- Thursday October 26th – PAC meeting 6:30pm (Learning Lab/Music room)
CALENDAR – IMPORTANT DATES FOR 2017/18 (PDF)
13-4th Annual Cardboard Challenge
20-Non-Instructional Day – Classes not in session for students
3-Ministry Designated Curriculum Day – Classes not in session for students
7-Early-Dismissal at 1:25 p.m.
9-Remembrance Day Assembly – 9:00 a.m.
10-Non-Instructional Day – Classes not in session for students
13-Remembrance Day – Classes not in session
22-Last day of school before Winter Break
25 to January 5-Winter Break
8-First day of school in 2017
26-Challenge Day #2
12-Family Day – Classes not in session
16-Non-Instructional Day – Classes not in session for students
30-Good Friday – Schools Closed
2-Easter Monday – School Closed
3-School Re-Opens, Running Club & Track Begins
19-Early-Dismissal at 1:25 p.m.
4-Non-Instructional Day – Classes not in session for students
18-Challenge Day #3
21-Victoria Day – Classes not in session
28-Non-Instructional Day – Classes not in session for students
5-Parent Appreciation Tea
22-Grade7 Farewell Assembly – 9:00 a.m.
27-Year End Assembly
28-Last day of school, Early dismissal @ 1:25 p.m.
29-Administration Day – Classes not in session for students