- WELCOME TO A NEW SCHOOL YEAR
- GETTING READY FOR SCHOOL
- POSITIVE THINKING ABOUT THE YEAR AHEAD – VIDEO
- STAFFING UPDATE
- WELCOME KINDERGARTEN FRIENDS
- SCHOOL SUPPLIES
- QUOTE OF THE WEEK
- 2017-18 BELL SCHEDULE AND SCHOOL CALENDAR
Welcome back to a new and exciting year!
It is with great excitement that we welcome you back to Cambridge Elementary and look forward to supporting the thoughtful and engaging work that brings out the best in your child(ren). If you are new to our community, you are so lucky and we look forward to meeting you. Thanks to our wonderful custodial staff, our school is shiny, clean and final preparations are being made to welcome all of the students on Tuesday, September 5th. There is an air of excitement and enthusiasm swirling about Cambridge as new staff set up their classrooms, our three brand new portables are receiving their final touches, and staff just finished two informative days of professional development.
Details about opening day can be found below.
Please feel free to join our welcome back event and introduce yourself on September 5th from 10:00 – 11:00 am in the gym, while students are in class.
Shaun Nelson & Lianne McBride (Administrative Team)
The first day of school is fast approaching on Tuesday, September 5th from 10:00-11:00 a.m. During that time, teachers will meet with students in grade groups and confirm numbers so that we can move forward with the process of forming classes. While students are with teachers, ALL PARENTS are welcome to join us for PAC-sponsored coffee and tea as well as an informal meet and greet with us in the gym.
The first FULL DAY of school is Wednesday, September 6th. The welcome bell goes at 8:30 a.m. and classes conclude at 2:25 p.m.
Kindergarten parents, please find information below regarding your child’s gradual entry.
So, where do students go on the first day?
Summer is coming to an end and the start of another school year is just around the corner. It’s time to start getting ready for a smooth transition from summer holidays to establishing some important routines for a successful school year. We suggest families work together and use the last few days of summer to begin putting in place some school routines and systems.
No more staying up late and no more lazy mornings relaxing in your pyjamas.
- Move bedtime a little earlier each night until it’s closer to your school time schedule
- Wake up school-time early and get ready for the day, dressed, groomed, and teeth brushed
- Start eating lunch, and snacks around the times you will eat at school
- Plan some morning activities outside the house to get used to leaving the house in the morning on time and ready for action
Take time to get organized and set up some school friendly systems.
- Choose and make a family calendar/schedule format for everyone to write on and keep track of important dates
- Designate a spot where school things such as backpacks, lunch boxes, and planners, can be kept to avoid last-minute scrambles in the morning
- Establish lunch-making routines and schedules; when, what, how, and who? (We suggest kids take the lead)
Once school starts, your child will be responsible for his/her own behaviour and learning. Why not begin now to encourage independence and taking ownership.
For the little ones:
- Dressing, grooming, tying their own shoes
- Helping out in the kitchen, setting the table
- Organizing their toys, cleaning up after themselves
For the older ones:
- Taking on some household chores: dusting, loading the dishwasher, folding laundry
- Feeding and walking the family pet
- Planning and making a family meal
These are just a few suggestions . . . be creative and have fun! And most of all continue to enjoy and establish daily reading routines, conversation time, and family activities. (Contributed by Kelli Vogstad)
Some students may experience anxious feelings as summer draws to an end and a new school year starts. AnxietyBC has some excellent resources and tips for “Coping with Back to School Anxiety“.
There is also a great article in today’s Vancouver Sun titled; “The ABCs of back to school”
Here’s to a great start back to school!
We welcome the following staff members to the Cambridge community:
- Ashley Gulbransen – Classroom Teacher
- Lianne McBride (VP) – Classroom Teacher
- Vanessa Wiebe – Classroom Teacher
- Sonal Derodra – Classroom Teacher
- Dana Shiels/Tiffany Grzeskowiak – Classroom Teachers
- Ashley Mander – Classroom Teacher Job Share
- Nikki Howes – Classroom Teacher Job Share
- Anita Sahota/Kiren Sidhu -Classroom Teachers
- Nicole Andersen – Classroom Teacher
- Joanie Dy – Classroom Teacher
- Amy Bateman/Jaime Canton – Classroom Teachers
- Ali Cumiskey – French Teacher
- Sonia Dhaliwal – Learner Support Teacher
- Colleen Kuehne – Integration Teacher
- Kim Power – Integration Teacher
- Neelu Cheema – Library (additional)
- Jose Menocovsky – Music (additional)
- Cassie McPherson – Child Care Worker
- Bhupinder Bahi – Education Assistant
- Donna Sebastian – Education Assistant
- Shubra Anand – Education Assistant
- Deanna Knight – Education Assistant
We will continue to forward staffing updates as they become available.
There are also a number of staff that have moved on from Cambridge to other new and exciting adventures:
- Kelli Vogstad
- Shelagh Lim
- Devon Chamberlayne
- Teagen Hayes
- Paula Taylor
- Laura McKillop
- Jennifer Gladstone
- Becky Weber
- Julina Benjamin
- Kelsey Shore
- Mia Mastrili
- Dawn Unruh
- Alex Reed
- Dyan Young
- Poonam Pannu
- Lori Roberts
- Brenda Sukkau
- Kittie Wong
- Paulina Biernacki
The start of the school year is exciting for all students. This time of year is even more exciting if you are entering Kindergarten and experiencing the first day of school for the first time. We warmly welcome our new Kindergarten friends. Kindergarten parents, information regarding the gradual entry for your children can be found here: Kindergarten Gradual Entry 2017
Our office is now open each day from 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. so if you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to visit or call at 604-595-4036.
Video from AnxietyBC – Helping Your Kindergartener with Separation Anxiety
If you ordered school supplies through Creative Children, supplies will be available for pick up once your child is placed with their teacher for the upcoming year. For Kindergarten parents, a bulk order of supplies as well as consumable craft materials will be provided for your child. The cost of supplies for Kindergarten students is $40.00. Please make cheques payable to Cambridge Elementary.
Our bell schedule is slightly different from last year as the school year goes from September 5 through to June 28, 2018.
IMPORTANT DATES FOR 2017/18
Thank you to our wonderful custodians, Mr. John Demosten and Alvaro Blandon, for their hard work and making our school so clean and shiny!